Moving a house with children can be a lot more challenging than most people expect. It surprises many London, Ontario parents that the logistics of moving with children are not nearly as hard to manage as the emotional aspects. If this is the child’s first move they may be very sensitive to the idea. Don’t worry though, by making the whole process fun, it can be a real adventure for them
Here are some top tips to help with your London, Ontario move:
- You should tell the children about the move as early as possible. This gives them plenty of time to get used to the idea and get excited about a new home and bedroom.
- When you do tell the children about the move, make sure to listen to all of their questions and answer them fully. Keeping positive throughout the whole process is very important too, as a parent, you know children pick up on a lot.
- Get children involved in every aspect of the move that is practical. They can be in charge of packing up some of their toys for example. This can also be a great opportunity to sell or donate some unwanted toys.
- You can give them a special box that they can pack a few of their most loved possessions. They can decorate it and when they see it come off the truck and go into their new bedroom it will help enormously with the understanding of the process. Make sure kids pack a special box with their most treasured possessions. Encourage them to decorate the box, and ensure that this carton is loaded last. That way, the kids can have their “special” box right away when your goods are being delivered.
- If you are moving far enough away that you won’t be able to carry on with their usual routine such as swimming or gymnastics make sure that you have a new location for it close to your new home.
- Ask for help from friends and family. It can be something as simple as having a niece or nephew come over to play with you child, or whole groups of family members pitch in and help pack things up.
- You can show the children pictures of your new London, Ontario home before the moving date. This will really help them when they see it for the first time in person as it will seem much more familiar and welcoming.
- Try to keep the layout of their bedroom the same. If possible, you should attempt to keep the layout of the furniture as similar as you can to how it was in their old room. After your London, Ontario move your child will be able to adjust much easier if they know where everything is in their new bedroom. You can even go one step further and paint the room the same colour and carry forward the same decorative theme.
- If they’re not upset during or after the move to your new home, be prepared for a breakdown days or weeks after the move once it has settled in that they’re not going back to their old home. This is perfectly natural and will pass in time. The main goal is to make it clear that you love your new home as they will pick up on any negative vibes.
By following the above tips you will greatly lessen the emotional turmoil that a London, Ontario move can have on a young child. There is not a perfect solution to helping your children through the move, but you know your kids. Try to think up ways to make it a fun and exciting time.